“The only thing that can save the world is the reclaiming of the awareness of the world. That’s what poetry does.” -Allen Ginsberg
Stories live in our bodies. In this workshop we’ll use mindfulness techniques such as breath awareness, body scans and meditation to drop into and hear the narratives our bodies hold. We will alternate seated meditation practices including mindfulness/breath-based practice and metta/loving kindness practice with in-class writing exercises. Meditations will aid us in dropping deeper into the body and present moment. From that centered place, we will then write (in all forms: poetry, fiction, essay). We will learn how the present moment can be a source of inspiration and wonderful, constant writing prompts! We will also learn how to use writing itself as a way to check in with the present moment.
Participants will not only leave with new writing but new tools and practices to deeply inhabit the body and to facilitate more creativity.
This workshop is great for both beginning and experienced writers.
- Skill Level: All writers or enthusiasts over the age of 18. No prior writing experience necessary.
- Location: Los Angeles, CA: A private residence in West Hollywood, 90046 near Hollywood Blvd. and Laurel Canyon Blvd.
- Workshop Date: Saturday, March 26
- Time: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Instructor: Sarah Herrington
- Cost: Non-member $75, Returning-member $63.75
- Important Terms & Conditions: This workshop is not confirmed until at least 4 people register, so do not wait to sign up. If the workshop doesn’t go, you will be refunded in full. Keep an eye on this site for number of registrations and share with your friends! Once 4 people register, the cost is non-refundable. If you cannot attend the workshop and you speak to us 7 calendar days prior to the workshop date, we will transfer your registration to another workshop. After the 7 day mark, the workshop is non-refundable and non-transferable. Attendance at this workshop qualifies you for the returning member discount on future workshops. Read our full refund policy here.
[table “24” not found /]