In this multi-week novel and memoir writing workshop, we’ll delve into beginnings. Each week, we will read one participant’s 25-page beginning of a longer work-in-progress (to be turned in the week prior). We’ll provide feedback on what is working and what can be improved, while recognizing the sensitivity of works-in-progress. We’ll discuss and critique through the lens of craft issues–characterization, plot, point of view, voice, dialogue, scene, and setting–which can be applied to both fiction and memoir. We’ll look at examples from the greats and, if there is time, end on an in-class writing exercise to get us practicing new tools to apply to our own work.
In this 8-week Novel and Memoir Workshop, you will:
- Receive personalized help on your project in a small, intimate setting
- Learn how to hook a reader with your opening sentences.
- Practice tools to introduce your characters in a way that will be memorable to a reader.
- Learn how to choose and stick with a narrative voice.
- Discover ways to introduce conflict and story arc right up front.
- Learn how to strengthen your prose.
- Find new ways of thinking about structure and other elements that will be of service to your story as a whole.